Thursday, May 31, 2007


A comment was made to me about me staying at home with my kids. (Although I wanted to tell this person where to go:) I smiled & said I wouldn't change my job for anything! Job? Yes Job! The comment was about being excited it was summer & this person was happy to get some time off & rest. I said I was excited as well because I love summer. I talked about laying out yesterday while the kids played in the pool. It was said then that she would love to have the time to just lay around all day but she has to work everyday. As if I don't work! Please people! If anyone thinks a stay at home mom doesn't work I'd be glad to have you for over a day. One day & all those assumptions would soon be gone. Mom's who work outside the home work hard I realize that but do not doubt that moms who stay home work just as hard. I am blessed to be able to stay home & for that I am thankful. I realize that some can't or maybe don't even want to. That's fine as well. It's your own decision & it doesn't make you less of a mom. But, me staying home doesn't make me less of a worker. I still wake up before anyone in the house & I'm the last to go to bed. In those hours I'm a teacher,nurse,cook,phsycologist,driver,etc... but out of all the job titles I have Mommy is the one I'm most honored to carry.

4 comments:

Monica said...

So very true Courtney! Being a stay at home mom is the hardest, but most rewarding thing I have ever done. Great post!

kbug said...

You go girl!!! Don't let anyone tell you that you're not working. I was a stay-at-home mome for 20-something years, and it is a more-than full-time job. I raised my boys instead of someone else raising them, took them where they needed to be, volunteered at their schools, was home when they were, knew all their friends (they were always welcome at our house), and don't regret it for one second. It was a conscious decision we made before we had kids. We sacrificed alot...new cars, name-brand clothes, expensive vacations, and steaks (hahaha). I got a paying job the spring that Seth graduated from highschool. On one of my first business trips with people who had journalism degrees and had been doing what I had only been doing for a short while (without any college I might add), I explained to one of the young women journalists about having been a stay-at-home mom before. Her comment was that now I could concentrate on myself and my career. She didn't understand. As far as I'm concerned, being a mom was my career. What I was being paid to do was simply a job. It's a good job that I enjoy, but it can't compare to my real career..... :)

Michelle said...

You know I had this conversation with my mom yesterday. She stayed at home with us until my dad got hurt and she had to go to work, but she was still home everyday before we got home from school. Eric and I both feel that it's important for me to stay home when we have kids too. I know that it's very important for kids to have their parents there for them. You know you're doing what's right for your kids and your family and that's the most important thing. I wish more moms were like you these days!

Glo said...

YEA!!!! Court,
Proud of you for taking a stand for the stay-at-home Moms out there. So proud of you for being one. I think if more Moms could be stay-at-home MOMS this world would be a better place. I wish i could have been one,but I did only work when their Dad was home with them. So I guess that counts.(Even with that I was still the chief cook and bottle washer) I baby set for so many years and I remember seeing all the first steps,first tooth and all the other things these Moms missed...My hat is off to all STAY-AT-HOME MOMS....You Rock...May God bless all of you.